Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Disintegration

Through another artist, I found and got involved in this Winter project of Seth Apter's on his blog--The Altered Page, so the basic idea is this--to take some pages from a book (mine were torn out to make room for the alterations in a round robin project) and tie them together in a bundle of some sort and expose them to the weather to see and record what happens to them--with "Nature as collaborator". Sounds very interesting! So here is my image of the three little bundles of pages I tied together and hung on the windchime chain outside my house!

We'll see what happens to them over the next few months--it's snowing/raining right now--a good weathery start!

7 comments:

Seth said...

So happy that you are joining in on this Cyn. Your bundles look great hanging. Wonder how they will look in the spring??

rscoach said...

Cyn - this is great! I love how so many artists are joining in on this project idea - can't wait to see what Mother Nature contributes! Reva (Los Angeles)

Unknown said...

I love your hanging bundles! They are quite silent compared to a windchime ..... it will be hard to wait until spring to see how everyone's projects come out!

Laume said...

I'm having quite the chuckle at this idea - of leaving things that aren't supposed to be outside, outside in the elements for artistic reflection. There's a whole group of people that do this as a lifestyle. Veering completely into political incorrectness, these people are called by many names - let's go with one popular one - Trailer Trash. And although I consider myself outside the standard definition of the title, I still manage to leave a surprisingly large number of things outside in the elements that shouldn't be there. My neighbors probably disagree, but I do find them quite artistic and have photographed them frequently over the years - the faded and fraying prayer flags, the slowly deteriorating metal tins, the little ceramic frog that looks like he's white lump of melting snow by now, the head of boy that's all I have left of one of my mom's garden statues - it wobbles frighteningly atop a wooden stick, the old concrete pipes beautiful in themselves that I someday hope to fill with herbs.

Unknown said...

I like the way you've tied the bundles in different shapes. And you KNOW they are making their own music as the wind blows past!

~*~Patty S said...

Your bundles look great and brave too, waiting for what nature has to bring! I got on board a little late, but am very excited about this project!

Mrs Pretzel said...

I love the way they all look in the trees!