Saturday, February 23, 2008

How to Become a "Real " Artist

That's the question. I've been pondering this concept for a while now, and having just had my first artwork accepted into a major (for our area) Museum Art Show, I feel like I can take the whole thing more seriously.

I subscribe to three Art business newsletters:

Fineartviews by Clint Watson

Robert Genn's Twice Weekly Letter

and just newly subscribed to:
Art Marketing Action newsletter from Alyson B. Stanfield
Here's info about her new book:
I'd Rather Be In the Studio: The Artists No-excuse Guide to Self Promotion(.pdf)

They communicate with each other, so they contribute to each others'
information to confirm and recommend the best ways to work out the business of being an artist.

It's a little overwhelming at times, and sometimes I feel like I'm reading and researching too much and not making art enough, so I have to make some decisions. Winter has been a time for research and pondering though, so as spring peeks around the corner, I'm making more plans to do art instead of just thinking and talking about it.

No Time, oil on canvas, 13.5" x 15.5"



1 comment:

Chris O'Byrne said...

Hi, Cyn. Those three all offer great advice and I also subscribe to them and have a lot of respect for their wisdom. There is a relatively new forum where a group of us are talking about all of these issues, especially as it relates to selling your art online. And at the risk of appearing shameless, I have a site that give a lot of additional information at www.OnlineArtsMarketing.com. (not trying to sell anything, just fyi)